How to post on this blog

Share your own insights or stories by commenting or, if you would like to be a contributor, e-mail joyce

Thursday, March 13, 2008

How To Make An Herb Infusion


Let's face it: Our soils are depleted of nutrients and we don't eat enough veggies or roots. Infusions of leaves, flowers and roots are an inexpensive, gentle and real way to incorporate essential vitamins and minerals on a daily level. With Infusions we steep leaves, flowers and roots in order to extract their medicinal properties. I notice that when I consistently make infusions, I do not get colds and I wake up in the morning without the need for caffeine although oxygenating my system with exercise is always a necessity.

To make an infusion, simply boil 1 quart of water per 1/4 cup of herb (or 1 cup of water to 1 Tablespoon of herb). Pour water over the herb(s) sitting at the bottom of a jar and let steep for a minimum of 4 hours. A canning jar holds the heat well. Be sure to use a cover on your jar. I make my infusions in the evening and let the jar sit overnight. In the morning I strain the herbs and pour off the liquids into another jar or glass. I drink the infusion as a tonic throughout the day. You can heat up the infusion or drink it cold depending on what is best for your constitution. The slightly bitter flavor of some infusions are beneficial for cleansing the blood of toxins.

No comments: